There is a section of Scripture, where Jesus dictates some letters to one of his disciples. The letters are short, and intended for seven local churches -- ie. churches in a specific city.
The letters follow a basic pattern. Not all the letters follow this pattern fully.
- From: An identification of who wrote the letter. Which was Jesus. But the "from" highlights a particular trait or truth about Jesus.
- Good: The church had strengths, something they did well. Jesus praises them and encourages them.
- Bad: The church had weaknesses, something they were failing in. Jesus warns and corrects them.
- Promise: Jesus wanted them to press forward, to keep striving. If the church did so, he gave them a promise.
- Warning: In a number of cases, Jesus warns them of consequences of continuing in the bad behavior.
NOTE: If you haven't figured it out, I have been looking at this particular section of scripture, and I have some thoughts about the seven churches.