Tuesday, April 06, 2021

Connected to the Vine

Jesus introduces a metaphor to describe how life in relationship with him should be like. He says he is the “true vine.” And he says his Father is the “gardener.”

A gardener is the designer, and creator, of the garden. Or vineyard, in this case. He plans it. He executes the plan. He maintains the plan by promoting what works best for the garden – which is measured by what gives the most produce, or most fruit.

A grapevine gives a unique picture of this process. The grapes grow on the branches. The branches grow on the vine. And the vine grows from the root. The system is connected. For it to work, all the parts need to remain connected to each other. To gain fruit, each part of the “chain” is dependent on one another. Jesus, as the vine, is faithfully connected to the root. God’s family, as the branches, need to remain connected to Jesus.

It is God’s design, and intention, that his family bear fruit. But they are unable to bear fruit, unless the maintain connection to the vine.

How is the connection maintained? How do we remain/abide in Christ?

We can talk about disciplines. Reading the scriptures. Prayer. Attending church. I don’t want to give the impression that a disciplined practice of these thing is, in some way, not valuable. But, people can, and do, treat this things as boxes on a list. But relationship is more than check-boxes. The exercise of disciplines does not guarantee continued connection. “Pray without ceasing. In everything give thanks.” Connection to the vine needs to be moment by moment.

If we consider moment-by-moment prayer to be identical to disciplined prayer, then it is impossible to do. Human beings cannot to practiced disciplined prayer every single moment of the day. The disciplines – reading, praying, and fellowship – are important and valuable. But they lose moment by moment value. Yet, God wants us to practice moment-by-moment prayer. God wants both. Both keep us connected to the vine.

As I said, moment-by-moment prayer cannot be viewed like disciplined prayer, or prayer meeting prayer. One way of viewing moment-by-moment prayer is frequent one-line prayers. One thank you. One petition for action, blessing, or revival.

A focused long time of prayer – one hour, two hours, etc. – is valuable. But 5000 one-second prayers are also valuable. What is necessary to start this type of prayer is some means to interrupt yourself.

Some time ago, I was give a small wooden cross. It was intended to be carried around in a pants pocket. It has spent most of the time sitting in a drawer. But for the last month, I have been carrying it with me. Each time, I put my hand in a pocket, I feel the cross, and I am reminded to offer short, one sentence prayers.

I know I am praying more. I wouldn’t be surprised if the duration has doubled. And I am being reminded of God’s presence with me.

I am sure this is not the only method to interrupt yourself, to regain focus on God’s presence. But it is one example I have used recently.

No comments: