Sunday, February 22, 2015

Identity in Christ - 13 (Crucified with Christ)

It seems like the main concept of our identity in Christ: "being in Christ." Since, we are following quasi-alphabetical order, this main concept is in the "I's" and it will be a while before we tackle it head on. But we are considering many facets derive from that. It could be compared to cutting limbs from a tree, perhaps to get at the root more easily.

Scripture says we are crucified with Christ. Even though we did not feel the pain or experience the shame, we do experience the consequences of Jesus on the cross. He died satisfying God's justice, restoring God's honor. My life is tied to that. God's justice is satisfied in my life. God's glory shines brighter and clearer.

Moreover, the person I was is gone. When Jesus died, sin was expunged; and the people who in Jesus died with him. When Jesus rose, he demonstrated that sin and death had no power over him. And for those in Jesus, sin and death have no power over them either. It is the Spirit who powers the resurrected Jesus. It is the Spirit who powers us.
  • God's Perspective
God deals with sin on the cross. The cross is the final solution. When Jesus died, God's dilemma of being holy and just or loving and merciful is no longer a problem. He is both.

When Jesus died, God's dilemma of judging and condemning men for sin, or loving and blessing men is no longer a problem. Jesus was substituted for one, and we are invited to accept and live in the other. It does not become man's by default. Jesus lit a candle in the darkness. Like moths, we are all drawn to the flame. When we get to the light, we can live in the light, or go back into the darkness.
  • Living My Life
I come to Jesus; I immerse myself in his death; I rise with him as a new person. I am powered by the Spirit. The life I live agrees with what I believe. By faith, I reach out and lay hold of God's promises. By faith, I reach out and lay hold of God's resources, cease practicing words, deeds and thoughts that dishonor God, practicing different words, deeds and thoughts that do honor God, show God's image and complete his mission and purposes.

Lying hold of Christ by faith puts me in the correct position, in him. And being him releases me to live as God designed me to live.

No comments: