Saturday, March 21, 2015

Identity in Christ - 16 (Chosen in Christ)

Here is a mystery. At times, Scripture says things like this, and people can only go "huh?" Humans are limited by time and space. God exists outside of both. So, he knows what happens at one end. He knows what exists at the other end.

When we looked at "adopted by God," we saw that God chose us to be his children. Scripture also says he chose us "in Christ." He did not choose us, because we were the best behaved, or the cutest. We were chosen based on our response to Jesus.

The confusion stems from the fact that God saw of time from outside of time, and before any process of history. God knew everyone's choice before they made it. God could have written the Book of Life before the creation of the universe.

God saw us, knew us, loved us and chose us before creation.
  • God's Perspective
This gives a lot of people problems. If God saw, knew, loved and chose those who responded to Jesus, he also saw, knew and did not choose those who rejected Jesus. To many, that means God did not love them.

Love does seek inclusion. Love does not guarantee it. Ask anyone who has experienced unrequited love.

Still, many ask some version of the question: if a person knows something bad will happen, as a result of their action, should not common decency indicate the person should choose a different action? When such a question is applied to God, with such things as love, eternal judgment, and eternal blessing taken into consideration, a person find themselves stepping into a quagmire. I am not going to deal with such questions here. Others do a much better job of it than I would do. (for example)

I would to consider me though. There are times I consider my life and I am amazed at how black my heart is. Most people would generally consider me a pretty good guy. Yet, I see bad things no one else sees. And God, who sees much more clearly and completely than I do, must see much more.

So, the amazing thing is that he still chose me. Given what I know of my failures, I don't know if I would choose me. He still affirms his choice, his love and his acceptance of me. He still works to bless, to strengthen, to help me grow and to use me as his agent in the world.
  • Living My Life
Knowing that God sees and knows me, and still loves and chooses me, in spite off what he knows fills me with amazement.

The fact that God does not give up on me is one of the main motivation factors of my life. I submit my life to his expectations, training and discipline. I choose to embrace my role as his agent and representative. I organize my life to pursue worship, learning, transformation, prayer and service.

His choice before the creation of the world that he is totally committed to his children, his plan and his purposes. Which means among other things, he is totally sold out for me.

No comments: