Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Basics

It won't take too long to figure out that I am a follower of Jesus. I am somewhat eccentric about it. I feel that no matter what circle of christians I am involved with I have an oblique perspective to their view of life, God, spirituality, etc. I have been unable to label myself as to what type of christian I am for about 10 years now.

I am not too sure I even like the word "christian" anymore. In the first century, I get the feeling that the word was originally used as an insult. As it was used more, it became more accepted. Now however, in a large part of the world, the word conjures up an image of a way of life, that I don't think Jesus would be pleased with. It doesn't mean that everyone lives that life. There are many wonderful people who call themselves christian. But a lot of people view christians badly, because some people who call themselves christian live in a less than love, gracious, Jesus pleasing way.

No comments: