Friday, July 12, 2019

Paul's Prayer (5b)

Again, Paul is reviewing his life, and his violent stance against Christ, God’s family, and the revelation of God’s grace. He, mistakenly, believed that God approved of his Pharisaic system. And he remembers God’s acceptance of him, even after his opposition. Even putting him into fruitful work, proclaiming God’s message, and demonstrating his character. And he stands amazed, and thankful.

We have looked some at thankfulness, and the effect it has in someone’s life. We all have a story of brokenness., and rebellion.

Some, like Paul, believe their lives work for God. He believed he was righteous according to the Law. But the Law does not give righteousness. So, when Christ broke through, his eyes were opened to what God wanted, and what Jesus did.

Some are like my friend, who knew right from wrong, but lived a lifestyle of breaking all the rules. And he didn’t care. But when Christ broke through, he eyes were opened to what God wanted, and what Jesus did.

Or like me, who chose to follow Jesus at a young age. I had no understanding of sin, or my own condemnation. I did not see myself as a sinner. But I did know that the Triune God was the Creator, and Lord, of the universe. I did know that all people should enter his Kingdom, and his reign. And entering was volitional. So I chose. And God opened my eyes to what he wanted, and what Jesus did.

I learned about my sin, and my brokenness, afterward. And the layers of my sin continue to be uncovered. And the reasons for gratitude continue to be uncovered.

God, ultimately, wants to transform our cores of being, our hearts. And thanksgiving is a large part of that transformation. We align ourselves, and move toward, those things that we are grateful.

No comments: